Thursday 9 October 2008

A Hobbit goes to Oxford

So it does happen that I have a window of a few hours here and there when a film or series sneak in. There is some good shit out there, and true to my recent peaks in to eastern Europe/middle eastern culture I can recommend ´Vid himlens utkant´ (Auf der anderen seite), and the old classic that I´ve been looking for for ages and now finally found through maybe not entirely legal channels ´Time of the Gypsies´.

But more of the great Kusturica some other time. Since I try to avoid sensory overload I aim to be selective with the few things I watch. But the anglophile in me has been known to lead me astray, and when I heard of ´The Oxford murders´ I was sold. But not even as an architectural eye candy did it do a very good job, managing to show off a Cotswold civilization off stale pub interiors, university offices not seen a flick of paint since the 40´s, bare NHS wards and streets erupting in road cones and illuminous labourers.
The attempt at an intelligent plot of a murderer cum expert in mathematical philosophy feels like a tacky Dan Brown meets Miss Marple only with a better paid cast. All topped off with everyones favourite Elijah Wood. Now to recemble a gifted american phd student overseas it is simply not enough to throw in a ´fuck´or ´fucking´ this or the other, while reading ones lines as if for the first time. I´m aware of the danger in stating anything but pure devotion in regards to the Ring trilogy, and its impossible to say he didn´t act a good Hobbit when one have only ever before met one in the mind. But that somewhat limited library of facial expressions of his, ranging from stare, to eyeballs near enough exiting his smooth profile couldn´t do the academic/foreign lover/saving bussloads of kids a´la John McClane type if his life depended on it.
So please don´t watch Oxford murders. Ever. Not even if it might get you laid.

No comments: